- Some links for more understanding on migrant labor issues:
- International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families
- ASEAN Declaration on the Protection and Promotion of the Rights of Migrant Workers
- Dhaka Principles on Migration with Dignity
- UN Special Rapporteur on the human rights of migrants
- Resolution of the General Assembly on the protection of migrants, 2012 – A/RES/67/172
- Resolution of the Human Rights Council on the human rights of migrants, 2013 – A/HRC/RES/23/20
- MAKING INTERNATIONAL LABOUR MIGRATION GOVERNANCE GENDER-RESPONSIVE
- WORLD MIGRATION REPORT 2018
- Reclaiming Migrant Women’s Narratives: A Feminist Participatory Action Research project on ‘Safe and Fair’ Migration in Asia
- WORLD MIGRATION REPORT 2019
- ILO Instruments on Migrant Workers
- C097 – Migration for Employment Convention (Revised), 1949 (No. 97)
- R086 – Migration for Employment Recommendation (Revised), 1949 (No. 86)
- C143 – Migrant Workers (Supplementary Provisions) Convention, 1975 (No. 143)
- R151 – Migrant Workers Recommendation, 1975 (No. 151)
- More ILO resources
- Employer-migrant worker relationships in the Middle East: Exploring scope for internal labour market mobility and fair migration (“kafala” paper) Paper | Press Release
- Ways forward in the recruitment of low-skilled migrant workers in the Asia-Arab States corridor
- 10 things governments can do to support fair recruitment
- The SAARC Convention on Preventing and Combating Trafficking in Women and Children for Prostitution
2. Migration in Nepal: A COUNTRY PROFILE 2019
This inaugural Migration Profile for Nepal presents the most recent census of Nepal on population and housing, which showed that almost 50 percent of the country’s household had a member who was either working overseas or has returned.
3. Ethical Journalism Network’s Resources on Migration
- Moving Stories (2005) which covers China, India, Nepal, Lebanon as well as many other countries.
- How does the media on both sides of the Mediterranean report on migration? (2017)
- Hate Speech and Migration: infographics | video 1 | video 2: Five point test
- Examples of Innovative Coverage of Migration: AP | Meherali | Migration Matters (collaboration with academics) | BuzzFeed
Some Important Organizations & Websites
1. Global Forum On Migration and Development (GFMD)
UN orchestrated international forum on migration and development. Includes civil society days as an entry point for wider civil society participation by business and NGOs.
2. The Hague Process
The 2002 Declaration of The Hague on the Future of Refugee and Migration Policy is based on the vision of a just world where refugees and migrants contribute to economic and social development, cultural richness and diversity without suffering discrimination and human rights violations. The Hague Process on Refugees and Migration (Foundation THP) has as its mission to support the implementation of this Declaration.
3. International Labour Organisation (ILO)
UN specialized agency which seeks the promotion of social justice and internationally recognized labour and human rights. ILO page on lobor migration
4. International Organisation for Migration IOM
IOM is the leading inter-governmental organisation in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
5. Migrant Forum in Asia
MFA is a regional network of non-government organizations (NGOs), associations and trade unions of migrant workers, and individual advocates in Asia who are committed to protect and promote the rights and welfare of migrant workers
Recruitment Reform is a global civil society initiative to aggregate current news, research, campaigns, and policy initiatives on international labour migration and recruitment.
7. Migrants Rights International
MRI is a global, non-governmental alliance of migrant associations, human rights, labor, religious, academic and other organizations which operate at the local, national, regional or international level.
Migrant-Rights.org is online content-based advocacy forum that aims to advance the rights of migrant workers in the Middle East, and to encourage social action to address human rights abuses.
9. SDC Migration Network
The basic working platform of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation’s (SDC) “Migration and Development Network”. The site offers information on concepts, tools, lessons learned, policies and processes, training opportunities and expertise.
10. Center for the Study of Labour and Mobility, Nepal
The Centre for the Study of Labour and Mobility (CESLAM) is a research centre established in January 2011 under the aegis of Social Science Baha.
11. The Thailand Migration Report 2019
The Thailand Migration Report 2019 is the fifth publication that members of the United Nations Thematic Working Group on Migration have produced since 2005. Like its predecessors, the report aims to provide up-to-date information on migration trends and patterns in Thailand, as well as analysis of migration-related issues and policy developments.
12. Major Destinations of Nepali Labour Migrant Workers: Study report by Centre for the Labour and Mobility, Kathmandu
These reports provide the overall picture of 8 major destinations of Nepali migrant workers.
13. IOM Handbook on Protection and Assistance for Migrants Vulnerable to Violence, Exploitation and Abuse.