Some links for more understanding on migrant labor issues:
- International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families
- ASEAN Declaration on the Protection and Promotion of the Rights of Migrant Workers
- Dhaka Principles on Migration with Dignity
- UN Special Rapporteur on the human rights of migrants
- Resolution of the General Assembly on the protection of migrants, 2012 – A/RES/67/172
- Resolution of the Human Rights Council on the human rights of migrants, 2013 – A/HRC/RES/23/20
- MAKING INTERNATIONAL LABOUR MIGRATION GOVERNANCE GENDER-RESPONSIVE
ILO Instruments on Migrant Workers
- C097 – Migration for Employment Convention (Revised), 1949 (No. 97)
- R086 – Migration for Employment Recommendation (Revised), 1949 (No. 86)
- C143 – Migrant Workers (Supplementary Provisions) Convention, 1975 (No. 143)
- R151 – Migrant Workers Recommendation, 1975 (No. 151)
More ILO resources
- Employer-migrant worker relationships in the Middle East: Exploring scope for internal labour market mobility and fair migration (“kafala” paper) Paper | Press Release
- Ways forward in the recruitment of low-skilled migrant workers in the Asia-Arab States corridor
- 10 things governments can do to support fair recruitment
Ethical Journalism Network’s Resources on Migration
- Moving Stories (2005) which covers China, India, Nepal, Lebanon as well as many other countries.
- How does the media on both sides of the Mediterranean report on migration? (2017)
- Hate Speech and Migration: infographics | video 1 | video 2: Five point test
- Examples of Innovative Coverage of Migration: AP | Meherali | Migration Matters (collaboration with academics) | BuzzFeed
Some Important Organizations & Websites
Global Forum On Migration and Development (GFMD)
UN orchestrated international forum on migration and development. Includes civil society days as an entry point for wider civil society participation by business and NGOs.
The Hague Process
The 2002 Declaration of The Hague on the Future of Refugee and Migration Policy is based on the vision of a just world where refugees and migrants contribute to economic and social development, cultural richness and diversity without suffering discrimination and human rights violations. The Hague Process on Refugees and Migration (Foundation THP) has as its mission to support the implementation of this Declaration.
International Organisation for Migration IOM
IOM is the leading inter-governmental organisation in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
Migrant Forum in Asia
MFA is a regional network of non-government organizations (NGOs), associations and trade unions of migrant workers, and individual advocates in Asia who are committed to protect and promote the rights and welfare of migrant workers
Recruitment Reform is a global civil society initiative to aggregate current news, research, campaigns, and policy initiatives on international labour migration and recruitment.
MRI is a global, non-governmental alliance of migrant associations, human rights, labor, religious, academic and other organizations which operate at the local, national, regional or international level.
Migrant-Rights.org is online content-based advocacy forum that aims to advance the rights of migrant workers in the Middle East, and to encourage social action to address human rights abuses.
SDC Migration Network
The basic working platform of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation’s (SDC) “Migration and Development Network”. The site offers information on concepts, tools, lessons learned, policies and processes, training opportunities and expertise.